Chinese Hibiscus

My brother and I went to Longwood Gardens this week and this is one of the few images I came away with that I liked. The hibiscus are not readily accessible as you have to stand behind a barrier, but I did come away with this backlit one. I was drawn to the radiating bands of color, kind of reminded me of a pin wheel. As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D700, Sigma 185 macro, f 16 @ 1.3 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
4 Likes

Great shot, Ed. I love the “circusy”( I guess that’s a made up word) spinning wheel look . Comp and colors are also first rate.
:vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute:

Hi Ed,

Backlighting worked well for this shot. I especially like the pinwheel effect of the curved orange and light areas radiating from the center of trhe flower. Well done…Jim

Great image, nice colors and lighting. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Ed. The back lighting shows off the structure of the hibiscus nicely. Great colors and comp. Believe the orchid show starts this weekend. Hope to get down there to see it this year.

Ed: I like the back lighting and the view of the underside of the flower. Most excellent .>=))>

An excellent image, Ed. I also like the radiating bands of color, and the back lighting just really accentuates that. Nicely done. :+1: :+1:

Thanks everyone @Michael_Lowe, @Jim_Zablotny, @Ralph_Yakaboski, @Patricia_Brundage, @Bill_Fach and @Shirley_Freeman for taking a moment to leave a thought; always welcome.
@Patricia_Brundage: Hi. The orchid show is going on now thru 3/22. I am sure Mike and I will be there a few times. Maybe we will see you there.

1 Like