Christmas Greetings

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Today I looked at this image after avoiding it for a month. One thing I’ve learned is that pictures take on a life of their own. That is the picture is a more intense than the reality you experience when you take it. There is a new and different feeling when the subject is separated from all else and placed within a frame on it’s own. That doesn’t take away from the initial experience which is overwhelming in it’s own way. But the image is it’s own pleasure.

Specific Feedback

As usual, I am interested in how this makes you feel. Should it be cropped in a bit from the right? My intuition says no. Does the exposure feel right?

Technical Details

GFX50R, 45-100mm, f/11, iso 2400

2 Likes

For me excellent composition and light, personal and creative colors. A bit of more cleaning? Merry Christmas Igor.

I’m in agreement with @Giuseppe_Guadagno comments except for the “bit more cleaning” suggestion. Right side: follow your intuition.

I love the rich colors you were able to capture in this scene. It looks like you used a polarizer to great effect as the sheen on the wet rocks has very few highlights and is not distracting at all. If you were so inclined, I might punch up the colors in just the leaves to see if they pop a little bit more but not much. I think the crop looks great to me. The composition feels weighted correctly since I think a square crop would feel more static than you want this image feel.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you, Igor!

1 Like

Igor, the clarity and subtle colors of the scattered leaves are outstanding. The overall scene is quite peaceful. I wouldn’t change the view, but I would try to slightly dodge the center rock to see if that adds a bit more cheerfulness. As presented, there a quiet somberness, which may be what you’re looking for… The small twigs on the main rock are a fun find.

1 Like

I did use a polarizer but it was not for the rocks. The water was ‘bent’ around the edges of the leaves and that produced unwanted brightness around them. I reduced that with the polarizer. The dark water was due to the tannic acid emitted by the decomposing matter. You couldn’t see the bottom even though it must’ve been less than 3 inches deep.

I decided to use this for a Christmas greeting because after looking at it I decided that the leaves reminded me of those ornaments that they hang from a Christmas tree.

@Igor_Doncov, this is a wonderful image! The rich colors of the rock and water, and the softer leaves work well together. When I saw the twigs on the rock, I thought that a little “gardening” might be in order. But, no, I like them. They’re an important, natural, part of the scene.

Well done, @Igor_Doncov! I love the intimate view, and I feel the image is well-balanced. It would be quite challenging to ‘clean’ or clone those twigs now, and honestly I feel that they draw me down the rocks into the pool so they are fine and natural to be there, for me. Perhaps a tiny bit of ‘pop’ to the leaves could be nice, but then they are also natural. I’m happy with it the way it is, and I would not crop off the right in my opinion.

Very enjoyable. I like this a lot. That’s quite an eclectic mix of leaves in such a small area. I wouldn’t change anything except perhaps the descending white twig just barely touching the top of the frame. That said, I wouldn’t try and do anything about it lest you felt inclined to on scene gardening though I suspect you might have got a touch damp doing so. Lovely shot