Manzanita Christmas

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Almost 20 years ago, I purchased what I considered to be my first “serious” digital camera – the 8MP Olympus 8080 Wide Zoom, a funny looking unit with a high-quality, oversized fixed lens (28-140MM). DP Review praised it back then as a top “prosumer” choice. I’m still very happy with the sharpness of the images shot with that camera, including this one, at Northstar near Lake Tahoe. I made a Christmas Card out of it back then because I liked the red and green against the snow. The iconic Manzanita of the California mountains also provides a sense of place.

Specific Feedback

Cropping and composition. I shot this tight to get the diagonal shadow, but wondering if I should have backed off a bit. Could also have zoomed in to get more of the red.

Technical Details

Olympus C-8080WZ, F5, 1/320th.

The crop looks fine to me, James and it makes a nice subject for a card. I think it might work even better if you applied a curves adjustment to the snow to bring up the dark areas some. We had a coal furnace when I was a kid and this reminds me of what our yard looked like a couple of days after snowfall.

James, I find the crop and composition just fine. If you want to add more space at the bottom of the image, you can easily use the generative expand in PS to add more snow. I’m not very familiar with snow, I gotta admit. However, I think that the image could be even better if the snow color were a bit closer to white without some of the bluish hues. I think that curves in PS could fix that if you choose to make any changes. I do love the reds and greens a lot as well as the shadows.

Thanks Egidio — good advice on the blue tones.

1 Like

Thanks Dennis — I probably underexposed the snow and it worked to avoid blown highlights, but definitely want it to look fresh-fallen pristine, which it very much was.