Happy Holidays

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On my way back from Death Valley, I encountered a big snow storm when I got to Central Oregon. I was forced to stop for the night in the closest town and was fortunate to get the last hotel room. When I got up the next morning, the sky was bright and sunny and the world was sparkling. Going over the pass, I decided to drive into Shelter Cove on Odell Lake where I found a true winter wonderland. I wish I had the skills to capture the true beauty of the scene. There was significant tonal contrast which made it difficult.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

1/28 sec @f8, ISO 200

2 Likes

Sure looks like winter to me, Chris. With the sunlit patches (which thankfully aren’t very large) bracketing the exposure might have helped let you pull them down. However, you have to look to find them and I don’t think people look over their greeting cards quite that closely. Very nice.

1 Like

Chris, I can’t help but think of the song “Baby, It’s Cold Outside.” Wow! You captured that song in a single image.

I think the scene is beautiful as is. As @Dennis_Plank mentioned, maybe bracketing the next time could solve the issue of tonal contrast you referred to in your note. It’s a good image.

Your skills came close enough for me! A gorgeous capture of a fairy tale winter!

A beautiful picturesque photo for sure, Chris. This is, I think, what everyone wishes for when they say/think “I just want a cozy little cabin in the woods!” Nicely seen and captured.

@Dennis_Plank @linda_mellor @EgĂ­dio @Diane_Miller Thanks for your great comments.

2 Likes