Circle of Life

While walking in the woods , I was startled by a red-tail hawk dining on a rabbit on a tree limb. I took 3-4 shots, one of which worked, then turned and slowly walked away.

Specific Feedback Requested

Yes, twigs and one tree branch were edited out. It seems flat to me. For a more dramatic look, should I darken the background or the hawk and tree branch?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D, 100-400 II USM lens, 1/320 at f5.6, ISO 500

I think you have a very nice image here. The pose with the over the shoulder look is really nice and the background is nice, but maybe a touch bright.

I agree with you that it feels flat. I took the image to Photoshop and did some selective edits to work on the Hawk and separate edits for the background. A little selective dodging as well.

See what you think.

Your posted image was also in the Adobe RGB color space which will cause different browsers to render the image differently from your intention. My edited image is in the sRGB color space.

1 Like

Really good job on this image with respect to composition, detail, and lighting. I think Keith did a good job in making the image pop a little more than your original posting. Regardless, this is a very cool behavioral scene.

Wonderful capture, and very sharply detailed! I wouldn’t have thought the original was flat, but @Keith_Bauer Keith did bring it up a notch. The BG colors are wonderful!

An excellent image, Anita. I like the natural history aspect and the detail in the hawk and composition are both extremely good. I like Keith’s treatment of the hawk, but I prefer the more subdued background of the original post.