Clematis in repose

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I spent the morning in a friend’s garden Wednesday and it proved a target-rich environment. This was my favorite, of this Clematis entwined in a Wisteria. No – we didn’t put it there!

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-09-15 at 4.34.59 PM

Initial work in LR for a focus stack set. Into Zerene then back to PS for quite a bit of local tonal adjustments with masked curves.

2 Likes

That is so cool, Diane. I love the way the Wisteria frames it. Maybe just a hair more room at the top would have been nice, but this works very well. You’ll have to convince your friend to spread a little bark butter on the back side to attract the birds to that location!

1 Like

A very unique natural framing of the Clematis with the Wisteria, Diane! :slight_smile:
I bet the odor this one puts out is considerably more pleasant than the Hatching Stinkhorn! :smiley:

I wouldn’t have thought that you staged this by placing the Clematis there before the shot but it sounds like it would have been a good idea if it hadn’t already been there, there’s nothing wrong with staging a shot like that in my view.
I’ve planted wildflowers in rotted out knot holes in tress, then went back later for a shot or two of them, it added a little color to the forest and made for some nice images.

Nicely done, Diane! :slight_smile:

Diane, this is lovely. You have just the right depth of field. The composition strikes me as unusual, with the two triangles on either side of the subject, but it works beautifully.

I’d consider slightly reducing the highlights in the bark that surrounds the flower but I’m not sure that would be an improvement. It’s terrific as is.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank, @Merv and @Don_Peters! Behind the wisteria was the edge of a deck and some patio furniture feet so I was able to slide a paper BG in. (The wrinkles show.) I think I need to add some OOF greenery in those two areas – that are bugging me. Dennis, it does end a bit awkwardly at the top – I think this was the full frame but I’ll see if some of the new magic can do something there.

1 Like

Wow what a pop of color! I can see the attraction and the frame just makes it all the more distinctive. I can see why you like to hang out in this garden. Looks like it’s magical and lush. Great job seeing this.