The next Clematis

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I went back to my friend’s garden again this morning and we played, with heavy fog giving soft light . The first place I headed was this Clematis and lo and behold there was a new bloom in the same Wisteria branches! I asked her if she had trained them to that shape and she said no – it just grew that way. I made her promise she would never prune this area and she said definitely not! She had found a piece of plywood that had been laying on the ground and was nicely textured with dirt, and propped it up to hide the deck furniture, and it was far better than the background I had used the last time.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-09-24 at 1.07.39 PM

Stack of 15, with only a little Highlight slider first in LR, before exporting to Zerene. Then the stacked file went into PS for some pruning. Full frame except for a very slight crop from the left.

1 Like

This is lovely, Diane. That bloom picked the perfect place to grow and you caught it at just the right stage. The dirty plywood makes a great background and gives me some ideas about how to handle the background for my little bathing pools-I know where there’s some extremely well weathered plywood that needs disposing of.

Diane: Great framing of this little beauty. We have a similar plant but it’s not intermingled with anything as interesting as this. Well seen and presented. >=))>

Diane, I am loving this shot. The framing by the Wisteria branches really adds to this beautiful bloom, keeping our eyes on the subject. That BG worked nice. Very nice.

I like the arrangement also very much and would have gone for a heavier crop from the left, maybe to 4:3 ratio. That would have emphasize the symmetry a bit stronger.

Thanks, @Cay-Uwe_Kulzer! I felt the symmetry was strong enough to let me give enough room to the two light green leaves reaching toward the left edge.