Cliff Decoration

Description:

Over the spring I was able to get out and photograph a couple of times. Landscape conditions were tough, and so I played with some flora shots a bit.

A wide variety of flowering plants grow on the basalt walls of the Columbia River Gorge, and this penstemon was hanging near Catherine Creek.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any suggestions are welcome. I’m not sure why, but while I love viewing these wall hangers growing in the wild, it’s hard to keep them dynamic in a photograph.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

NIKON Z 7II
NIKKOR Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 VR at 135 mm
1/15 sec. at f/9.0 and ISO 64

Truth in Blending Statement: Five images blended for DOF with Helicon Focus.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

For comparison, here is a horizontal:

I was also curious as to what this would look like with the lower blooms cloned out. Here’s that version:

Nice image! I like the version with the lower flowers cropped out. This is Barrette’s penstemon, which is endemic to the east side of the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area.

1 Like

What a nice decoration you found. I like the horizontal version, including some more of the gorgeous cliffs. In that image I think that the contrast between the cliffs and the pestemon makes up a great image. Technically, your focus stacking worked out very well.

Nicely done! I love stuff like this and to find it blooming so perfectly is great. I’m torn between the two vertical shots. The lower blossoms add a quirky touch, but the cloned version has a bit of an austere quality that is more serious. Both are worthy of consideration and I’d probably print it, too.

John, this is a wonderful intimate scene. I really like the framing of the vertical and the cloned out version works best in my view. Nice work on the focus stacking too. Excellent image.

Nice image John! I really like the colors and the color contrast between the flowers and the cliff. Good comp too. I think I prefer the cloned version. Too bad these weren’t still in bloom during our last trip, though they would have been blown around too much to get a focus stack.

Well done!

Thank you for the EP; it’s always an honor when there are so many great images posted here.