Stonecrop

Description:

Here is a second image (of three) of a plant growing on a cliff face in the Columbia River Gorge. @Steve_Kennedy and I spent a good chunk of time prowling the walls at the end of last month looking for stonecrop to photograph. They are prolific in the right locations, but it’s hard to find one that stands out and has an intriguing background.

This was one of the first areas we stopped; we finally returned here after looking at a bunch of other candidates.

Specific Feedback Requested:

What are your thoughts on the crop? I played with variations of placement of the flowers, and finally landed here.

All comments and suggestions always appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

NIKON Z 7II
NIKKOR Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 VR at 36.0 mm
1/20 sec. at f/13.0 and ISO 64

Truth in Blending Statement: Six images for depth of field.

Edit:

Here’s the image I cropped from. In this version, I’ve also followed Kristen’s suggestion and added contrast to the yellow by darkening the flowers some.

2 Likes

Lovely colours and textures, John. I’d like to see a bit more of the lichen and rock along the lower edge, to balance the interesting, dark overhang at the top.

I can see why you went to find these. Fascinating plant and the flowers are like stars. Maybe they are a tad too bright - I’d like to see more detail there. Possibly taking down the luminance in the yellow channel would do the trick. The crop seems unbalanced in the sense that there isn’t anything below the flowers like the small overhang above. Not sure what you could do about that though. The lichens would have captured my attention, too. Great detail throughout the photo.

I like the image a lot. Great colors and textures, but also an interesting plant in it self. The light is also fine. Your crop is very good using the rock bow as a darker frame at the top.

Thanks @Mike_Friel , @Kris_Smith , and @Ola_Jovall ! I realized it was a mistake to not post the original to better facilitate crop suggestions; sorry about that. I’ve added the original to help. Maybe a 4x5 that centers the flowers more?

A wonderful image of these delicate and fascinating plants, which are often inaccessible! I think their structure is so interesting that I think you could crop the first version you posted even more from the top and sides. (Resisting puns…)

I missed your first post – going to find it now.