Stonecrop

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from Christmas Day, in the banana belt of Bolinas, over on the coast. Another grab shot while chasing our granddaughter with my camera. Jeremy’s parents have such gorgeous plants and I have been photographing this one (or possibly a sibling) for 25 years. This was just magic light and I love the soft-focus look, although I did no treatment to make it that way.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 9.57.11 AM

Slight crop, denoise, a little edge burn – nothing to enhance the soft-focus look.

2 Likes

I love your focal plane and depth of field on this, Diane. It makes it looks sharp and soft at the same time. A beautiful image.

I second @Dennis_Plank especially the sharp and soft assessment, and there are no defects in the plant as I usually see in our stonecrop. A beautiful plant beautifully presented.

That barely looks like a living thing, more like stone. No wonder the name. So buttery and symmetrical.

I agree with all the above. I would like to have seen more. I’m with kris, it doesn’t look real. Thanks

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank, @Jim_Gavin, @Kris_Smith and @SkipsPics! I assume the name comes from the fact that they grow out of what seems like solid rock on the coastal cliffs . This one was unusually clean, but I touched out a few flaws. The original frame does have all the leaves but there were distracting things in the pot, just below the bottom leaf, so I cut into it. Then the ones on the right looked boring so I cut into them, too. The center was the interesting part. This is a chubby, happy-looking specimen.

You can see a blossom stem starting to peek out just above the center.

Diane: Ditto all the above compliments and I also especially like the soft color palette. Top notch image. >=))>

Thanks, @Bill_Fach! It’s so often that I think I have a nice image and then I find a better one. Need to refine my judgement – it seems to only be relative.

Wow – I just stumbled on this EP – many thanks, @Bill_Fach and @Kris_Smith! A wonderful surprise!

1 Like