Close focus photography

I decided to self a gift a Lens Baby 56mm velvet f/1.6 lens. More work for me because there is no communication to the camera. Most of the time I plan to use this from F/2.8 - F/8 at most. Taking a Creative Live class on this kind of photography. My focus was the very front part of the flower with the wave. Was not sure if I would like the lens or not but so far I love it.

Specific Feedback Requested

I would like suggestion with this type of photography. I did get a bee on the flower but it looks soft as expected. I got this lens mostly for macro flowers.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D (my 6D is being fixed but the 90D works well with tiny flowers like this one) F/2.8 ISO 250, 1/250 second. On a tripod no flash. Because this is a manual focus I used 10x zoom with the screen. This is why I will always be on a tripod. No Post Process on this photo.

Dean, I love the soft pastel colors and the soft focus except on the “wave” of the flower in front. Nicely done. Glad that you like that lens. I had a couple of different Lensbabies and didn’t do well with either, so gave them away. I haven’t tried the Velvet. I think you did very well with it on this image.

Thank @Shirley_Freeman, this is what I am trying to get with a different way of doing things. The Macro 180 can do something similar, just have to get further away. I have learned a bit from the video’s I have watched. One talked about the focus being so hard at F/2.8, but that should be normal, right. I have a feeling I will be at the 3 f-stops most of the time, 2.8, 5.6 and 8. Just getting started, something different but will never give up insect closeups.

1 Like

Love the soft feel of these beautiful little flowers, Dean. I’ve never tried a LenBaby, but I have heard there is a bit of a learning curve. You’re a braver man than me! Wish you the best with the new challenge and looking forward to more photos from you.