Close up

I photograph the Great Egret on the Back River in Old Lyme, Ct on 7-21. As you can see it was a very cloudy day. I had to bring the shot into DxO Photo Lab and make a number of changes to get the posting you see here.

Thank you for stopping by.

Peter

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 7DII, Sigma 150-600mm, 283mm, F8, 1/1600 at ISO of 1250. In DxO Photo Lab I changed the exposure by +.73, blacks by -39, whites by -18, vibrancy by 46 and contrast by 47. The shot was cropped by 20% into a 16 by 9.

At 283 mm, that was very close. Love that we can see the full wingspread and love that droplet flying off the feet. It’d be preferable for me if the bird was angled more towards the viewer. Comp-wise, I’d personally prefer a bit less up top and a bit more below. Details look pretty good, but I’d like to see the original file to give more thoughts on the post-processing; I bet the details could be enhanced a bit more.

You got a very nice topside view. I agree with Lyle about more on the bottom and less on the top. The whites might have the potential for more tonal detail, but I’m used to thinking in terms of Lightroom and don’t know DxO Photo Lab. Possibly less exposure increase would bring out a bit more white detail. Increasing contrast could actually lose detail.

Hi
Thanks for the comments.
Lyle after reading you comment, I went back took another look at the shot. Here is the original and this is a corrected shot with just using tone curve, exposure, blacks and vibrance.
Peter