Closeup

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) (Immature)

I was at the edge of a marshy pond hunkered down to photograph a Bittern on the other side, when this immature Great Blue Heron landed behind me and wandered up to stand beside me not six feet away. I was blown away. I slowly turned my lens toward him/her and grabbed some closeup shots. A very cooperative and photogenic bird. What an experience. Oh, the background is the water with tiny green plant life (not sure what kind) covering the entire surface.

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated. This is a full frame shot, only cropped slightly from the top. I would have loved a bit more room on the right, but I hope this works because the eye is so far to the left.

Technical Details

400mm, 1/500sec @ f/7.1, ISO 2500

1 Like

Isn’t it nice when birds cooperate. Great portrait with excellent detail and color. The background works as well.

Hi David, really nice close up. I love seeing the buff color on the neck and the wear on the bill. Details on the bird are great. Pleasing background. Well done.

David, I love the detail you were able to capture here! Nice job preventing overexposure of the light feathers at the base of the lower beak too. So glad you were able to have the experience of this close encounter. It’s interesting to me that I could not get within 50 yards of a GBH in upstate NY. When I began spending time in FL, I found most GBHs here to be quite approachable. I’ve also noticed that younger herons and egrets are less skittish than the mature ones. I wish you many more similar experiences!

@Allen_Brooks, @Allen_Sparks, and @Ron_Meeker thanks for the kind comments. It was an awesome experience and I am glad I got an image from it.

Cheers,
David

This is gorgeous, David and a great souvenir of a wonderful experience. I really like the little gifts mother nature gives us when we’re patient.

Totally wonderful – both the experience and the shot!! Fantastic closeup! The BG (duckweed??) is perfect!

Thank you, @Diane_Miller. And thanks for the plant id. Yes, it is Duckweed.

@Dennis_Plank thanks for the comments. Much appreciated. I do love it when we get these kinds of gifts.