Clouds on Fire

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Hello …

Do let me know if this is not the right forum to post this image. The storm clouds were gathering, and there seemed to be different layers at different altitudes. Once when I thought 24 mm was not good enough.

6DII, 24-105, 6.3 AV, 1/50

Balan Vinod

Technical Details

6DII, 24-105, 6.3 AV, 1/50

1 Like

What a huge range of colors in that sky, Balan! :slight_smile:
There’s the deep orange (almost red), to almost black, then all the way to light blues and grays.

That covers a pretty wide dynamic range in brightness as well, you did well with balancing the exposure IMHO.

It is quite dramatic and I’m certain it was an exciting moment to see in person!

I can see the wide range in altitudes, they show up as layers quite well! :slight_smile:

A very dramatic image! I assume the color in the cloud is from sunrise or sunset? In that case it would be more appropriate in Landscape. If the color is from embedded lightning at night, then it would go here. If it is not a night shot, let me know and I can move it to Landscape if you want.

Clouds definitely can have different kinds of clouds at different altitudes.

Diane, Many thanks for your kind words, This is twilight, and if you can help moving this to landscape.

Many thanks
Balan Vinod

Done! Gorgeous and dramatic clouds in great light!

Hard to compose an image of just clouds, but this works. Without any land to provide a foundation, this works.