CO Side Road

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I’m listening

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

45mm

1 Like

Hi Louis,
This is such a great little slice of fall. Nice framing with the fence and the colors are rich and vibrant. It is looking a little flat and lacking sparkle, so I brought it into Photoshop and did some work to bring it to life -

Nothing too fussy, just used luminosity and color masking to bring up contour and separate the shades of yellow in the trees. Unfortunately the fence posts are really underexposed and the shadows are pretty blocked up so I couldn’t raise them enough to keep them from having so much visual weight. They work as framing elements quite well, but I wish they had more shadow information.

It still needs some exposure or brightening even after my edit, but you get the idea if you want to have a go at it yourself.

Hope you like it and find it helpful. The bones of a lovely shot are definitely here.

Wow, I couldn’t do that if I tried. I guess I should try to get it more right in camera.

It’s really not that hard, Louis! You didn’t do much wrong in camera, don’t be too hard on yourself. Really. I could have done this in Lightroom, too, with similar effect. Just a matter of adding some luminosity to the lighter yellows, lowering the luminosity of darker yellows, lifting the shadows overall and the exposure a bit. If you don’t use Lightroom, what I just wrote can be done in pretty much every RAW editor out there. I just used Photoshop because it’s easier for files not in my catalog.

Thanks. On the road right now and will try it when home. I use C1.