Coastal Action

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was my first time actually getting into the water wearing neoprene socks to capture this kind of image. We spent a few hours on a beach on the Sonoma coast, and of course I took many shots that were utter failures. But near the end of the session I found this composition and felt very fortunate.

Specific Feedback

Perhaps I could have included more on the right at capture time to get the full swirl of the wave? But on the other hand, perhaps the upper right seems a bit empty? So getting the right balance and the lack of anything in the sky was challenging. Does the half-second shutter speed seem right?

Technical Details

Canon EOS R7
EF-S10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
ƒ/11, 12 mm
0.5 sec, ISO 400

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi and welcome to NPN. This is a nice first post of a scene I’d consider a ‘sketch’ when I’m noodling around with composition. It has some good elements, but also some not so good like the rocks on the left Edge. The sidelight did a nice job picking out some texture and creating modeling in the rocks, but I wonder if a step or two to the left would be helpful. There’s a lot of visual weight on that side and not as much opposite, so it feels unbalanced. Sometimes returning to a location (if possible) can give you what you want after you consider what you did get. Maybe a higher vantage point to have less blank sky would be a nice thing to try.

Anyway…

If you have any questions about site navigation or posting, feel free to ping me or any of the other moderators (yeah, I volunteer them all the time, lol). You can do that by using the chat bubble or the private message icon on the user card when you click on someone’s name. Oh and you can hit the chat bubble at the top next to the New Post button to find communal chats like Photo share, Site support and Campfire.

Site Tip - you can reply to multiple people in one post by highlighting any text in their reply and using the Quote function. Another way is to use the @ symbol and choose the person in the list that comes up. Use the tab key to automatically select and fill the name in your reply. This helps keeps threads from becoming too long with so many posts saying much the same thing to each individual. Hope that made sense!

To me, the upper right is not empty because of that island and the orange skyline. The main show is the foreground rock with it’s swirls of water going out that lead you to the wave coming in and the background large rock top lhs. The lhs mid small rocks are connected with white water, so they add to the photograph. The sky is ok - if it were busy it would detract from the big rock or not give it space to breath. What would I change? Nothing. Perhaps the only real challenge is to see this before it happens so your success rate and framing options improve.

Welcome to NPN, @ron. The Sonoma coast is a photographer’s delight, and you have the evidence to prove it. It’s easy to second guess a composition, but we weren’t there. I would say the exposure time is perfect, and you captured the wave action beautifully. A couple of thoughts to consider when finding a scene like this is to move around. Try putting less sky and more beach in the scene. You only need just a bit of breathing room above that large rock. Then, try stepping to the left a few steps. Again, welcome, and I look forward to seeing more of your pictures.

Ron: Welcome to NPN and thanks for a fine first post. I do think this is a successful image and the other suggestions are just other ideas for alternate comps and results. I like your SS choice especially. In places like this there are so many good images to be made. I suspect you have others and I look forward to seeing more of your work. >=))>

Ron, welcome to NPN. This is a great first post. I like the swirling surf around the foreground rock and how you’ve angled in across the frame. The breacking action of the next wave mimics the arc and adds to the lower right to upper left eye movement. I also like the “breathing space” that the open sky in the upper right half provides. That adds a touch of relaxation that contrasts well with an otherwise dynamic view.

As a new member, it’s important that you view and comment on the photos posted by others. That’s a great way to refine your vision and makes NPN a real community of photographers.

Thanks for all your critiques. As some of you say, I might have tried moving a bit to the left to include more of the wave action. One option to improve the balance, suggested by Rob’s critique, might be to increase the orange in the skyline in post. I do have one other decent image from this outing that I processed in black and white. I’ll probably post more images soon. And I also will start posting critiques as you’ve encouraged me to do.