Surfs Up

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The ocean was very rough , due too 30 MPH+ off shore winds , which were causing the breakers to pile-up and thus break early.

Specific Feedback

All comments are appreciated and I would like some input on the water portion of the image as it relates to color.

Technical Details

Sony 7RM3 ,FE 100-400 f4 @ 300mm 1/1000sec f/11 ISO 2000

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Very nice capture of these unusual and interesting conditions. I love the way the most interesting part of the spray is against the lighter area of sky. You chose a good SS to show the action. I wonder about lightening the two small waves right at the bottom, to make them a little less prominent.

James, you’ve got some fine surf action here. I too like the splashing/blowing above that main breaker. The action in front of that breaker is great also. The splashing in the lower ~1/3 rd looks oversharpened. I also think that getting a bit more contrast between the splashing above the horizon and the sky behind would be good. Your shutter speed does a good job of freezing the action.

Great action James. Couple of thoughts – waves get more interesting when you shoot them from the side, as opposed to head on. Also if possible, move higher up the beach, thereby shooting more down on the action, and putting the dark ocean rather than the horizon and sky behind your waves. This could also help you pop the contrast on more of that great, windblown spray.