Coastal oak grove hidden between gently rolling hills in late spring

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Composition, color correctness

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Overall impression

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
ISO 100, 85 mm, f/11

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

lana.max.cal

Hi Lana,

I like your composition here as the eye follows nicely up the draw filled with the variety of trees - oak, sycamore… I do wish there was a bit more breathing space at the bottom, but that’s pretty minor.

For my tasted, I would say the contrast is a bit strong. It’s hard to tell what the light is - diffused, direct, not sure. The grass in the ULC, upper left corner, seems darker than the rest; then the grass is lighter on the right, which does indicate the direction of the light and the upper left could be more in shadow.

Color looks pretty good, but I do think the heavier contrast is bumping the saturation look too. You didn’t mention how you may have processed this, LR, PS minimal or even HDR? This scene looks like it has great potential for some additional processing. Some basic steps might be dodging and burning the dark/highlight areas and try and reduce the contrast a bit? Just a couple thoughts.

thanks for sharing!

Lon

Nice composition and colors. To my eye, the vignette seems too strong.

It was a heavy overcast in middle of the day. I used LAB color action from TK panel (Hue/Saturation and Levels). Looks like it works better with this kid of green/yellow combination. Also has Orton Effect at 14%.
Made few changes… Adjusted LAB colors and overall contrast to make light direction more obvious. Did tree dodging and grass highlights

(Screen blend over selection). Removed some of vignetting and made it lighter in front corners. What do u think?

Removing the vignette definitely helped. The greens still look pretty electric. I would back off on them a bit.

I agree with Igor. Removing the vignete helped a lot, but the greens are too electric.

@svetlana I think you have a very interesting image here, that with some further tweaks could be improved a notch or two. I agree with the comments that you have gotten from @Igor_Doncov and @Tony_Siciliano so far on the vignette, and the “electric greens”.

I can see the visual appeal of fresh green spring colors. But to me the more interesting aspects of this image are the composition (and it’s sense of depth), the curved and diagonal lines throughout the scene, and the receding line of trees (also creating depth). For my taste I would prefer to see those aspects of the image speak louder than the color. To me the strong electric green speaks too loudly and drowns out the “voice” of the other nice parts of the image. A more subtle use of color would also let the composition and shapes step forward better. I could also see some selective darkening of the hillsides to better accentuate the trees. This is a rework reflecting my comments.

Dear All! Thank you for your insightful comments. With re-edit, I came very close to @Ed_McGuirk rework. Lowering LAB Lightness channel did the trick.