Cold as Ice

Alternate version:

On my way to a shooting location I had to go under some rail tracks (through a sort of tunnel) and it was in that tunnel that I saw this backlit shattered ice on the ground.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback is welcome! Do you prefer the cool or warm version?

Technical Details

1 Like

Cool image, Tom. I definetely prefer the cool one. You could darken a tad the brick in the URC.

2 Likes

Tom, this is a great view of this ice, with that front plate nicely emphasized. The cool version feels much more realistic.

1 Like

Nice abstract image, Tom. I also like the blue image better. I like the moody feel it has. I agree with @Ola_Jovall that the URC block of ice and maybe even the top two small blocks of ice could use some darkening. Nicely scene.

1 Like

Always a challenge to know what color to leave ice!! I’m enjoying the feeling it is a flat vertical plane and wonder what f-stop you used?

1 Like

The blue one for me too, Tom. And it’s sharp throughout too. Well done.

1 Like

Thank you @Ola_Jovall , @Mark_Seaver , @Donna_Callais , @JohnSnell and @David_Bostock for you comments and kind words! It looks like the blue version is the winner. That’s funny because my first version was actually the golden one but I then decided to try a cooler white balance. I will have another look at this tonight and will darken the top right.

John, this was shot at f/8, but I was using Canon’s 90mm tilt-shift lens so I was able to get everything sharp even at that aperture .

1 Like

I definitely prefer the cooler version. It looks more “lifelike,” but also exudes a metallic feel that seems more compatible with the sheen and texture (which is great, btw) of the shards.

Fantastic images Tom! I do prefer the cool tones of the first one. Love the 3D quality of the image and the ice patterns. Awesome work!

Thank you @Max_Waugh and @Alfredo_Mora for your comments and your kind words! :slight_smile:

Hi Tom,

I really like both.
I enjoy studying the details in images like this.
My first impression of the bronze tinted one was that it reminded me of a dry lake bed like the one at this link: Dry Lake Bed, I don’t know why but it did.

My first impression of the cooler one did make me think of ice and they both have a unique and different feel.

I see things a little different than most people and that may be from my mechanical way of thinking along with my weird desire to know how things were made (or formed in this case).

It looks like this area was flooded with water and the top froze over, then it thawed slightly before another layer of ice formed underneath the top layer, the reason I think that is because of the vein in the edge of the largest piece in the foreground. That vein is probably evidence of two separate freezing events, if you look close you can see veins in most of the pieces that show the edge.
I can tell it was likely very cold when you took this shot because when I follow that vein from right to left, I can see new ice crystals forming under the next triangle.
The entire sheet of ice was supported by water that has since drained or seeped away and as the ice began to melt it broke up resulting in that very interesting puzzle. It could have been broken by an animal crossing it but the weight alone can cause that as well.
It looks like it has warmed up at some point just before this because the puzzle pieces have those nice rounded edges.

I also like how they appear to have been spray painted with a metallic paint.

Please don’t take me wrong here, I absolutely love looking at images like this just for their artistic qualities, I just go a little deeper with trying to figure out the story behind them, and I hope you don’t mind me writing down my thoughts in your topic.

The more I look at these, the more I like the bronze version better, maybe because it’s really cold outside and I’m stuck indoors most of the time? :slight_smile:

Well done, Tom and sorry for the book on the formation of ice. :smiley: