Cold Crimson Bog

The best sunsets/sunrises always seem to occur when you are at home.
As a snowy storm system began to approach the clouds ahead of it caught the light of the setting sun and exploded with color. luckily I was able to run to the local park a few minutes ahead of time and try to form some sort of composition,

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D5200, Tokina 11-16mm
ISO 100, 11mm f10, 1/2s

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Michael, what a gorgeous sunset photo. Amazing light and reflection in the water. I do find the grass in the bottom of the photograph very distracting and think it would be a much better photo if you cropped out most of the grass.

1 Like

Just to confuse the situation, I love that grass and am very happy with that as is.

I do think the saturation is too high at the top of the image. The reds look good, but the pink and blue seems to be a tad unnatural to my eye. This may be slightly rotated clockwise??

2 Likes

Another vote for liking the grass, it adds depth, givng you a distinct foreground, mid-ground, background progression. The light on the grass in the near foreground is also wonderful BTW. I do agree with @John_Williams that I would tone down the saturation in the pinks and blues in the sky, it can be more subtle than this and still have a lot of impact.

2 Likes

Michael,

Gorgeous sunset image - and welcome to NPN, if you hadn’t been welcomed already!

I’ll just have to agree with all the comments so far. But wait, they are conflicting… :wink: I love both the grass AND the sunset sky. But there in lies the issue for me - you have two strong selling points. To me, the grass is soft, subtle lot’s of nice detail… but rather polar opposite to the bold, dramatic and colorful sky. And with the use of the wide angle, near/far composition, BOTH elements are prominent which creates an either-or, 2-image conflict. My impression is that you’re capturing a gorgeous sunset with dynamic clouds as you’ve included a bunch of sky/clouds, up top. Add the great reflection of color and I think cropping the main clump of grass off the bottom retains the emphasis on the sunset.

If, however, your intent is to showcase the grasses and even the reflection, then crop at least half the sky.

It’s a terrible problem you have… (not really), but for me you’ve got two images here and I’m not sure which one to like better.

Lon

1 Like