Colorado Aspens

Would love your feedback pro/con on this image. It’s a Focus Stack of 9 images as I wanted all the trees to be sharp.

Specific Feedback Requested

Comp? Sharpness? Color? Brightness? All comments most welcome.

Thanks!

Technical Details

F11, ISO 64, 98mm

2 Likes

Fantastic image, Scott. Great job with the focus stacking too. Your comp shows the depth of the forest, with most of the foreground trees separated from each other. I wouldn’t change a thing. Just admire the big view. This would make an awesome big print. Well done.

Thanks so much David! Means a lot coming from you.

Best regards,
Scott

I love a good focus stack; well done.

The comp works fine, although if you wanted prints with different ratios I see two that I would consider. First, the right side is slightly incongruous with the rest of the image and cropping that out also works well. Second, a vertical of that central section might work too. Nice to have options. :slightly_smiling_face:

The color looks great to me. The brightness does too; I could see it brighter but that would change the mood.

The one thing I would suggest changing is to reduce the clarity/soften some. Some of those trunks have brightness on both edges, and some of those edges are starting to blow. I played with softening that effect some, and liked the result.

Hi John,

Thanks for the feedback. Totally agree with the various ratios depending on what the customer wants. I will play around with adding a bit of blur. Thanks again for the comments!

Scott

1 Like

This is a wonderful shot Scott. I agree with Mike. The only thing I might change would be cropping out a little more of the darker trees on the right side of the image.

1 Like

Thanks Chris, most appreciated!

Really like the cropping suggestion, and other ideas! Thanks again everyone.

1 Like

Hi Scott,
I really like the scene you captured and the focus stack is well done. Overall the scene looks a little too contrasty and dark to me, especially at the bottom of the image. I’d like to see what happens if you lower the contrast and brightened up the darker areas of the image, either using the sliders in LrC or ACR or with a luminosity mask.

1 Like

Thanks Patrick! Appreciate the feedback. Scott

1 Like

Well done focus stack, Scott. I like the overall scene as presented and I even like the burnt trees on the right edge. I think it tells a story. I like the deadfall on the ground as well. I’d like to see some of the blacks brought up a bit and the contrast reduced a bit to soften the overall feel of this scene. I might even add a little bit of a glow to the upper greens/yellows in the tree tops but that’s a personal preference. Out of curiosity, I would love to see what this image looked like without a focus stack and with some of the background trees softened up in a slight blur. Just out of curiosity. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback David. Attached is 1 of 9 in the focus stack, totally unprocessed on post. I have the Nikon Z7ii and I really love the auto focus stacking feature. I then use Photomatix to merge them together. Thanks again for the advice! Most appreciated.