Colorific

I apologize for my recent absence. I recently returned from a trip to Colorado for fall color and before that I was busy meeting work related deadlines in advance of my trip.

This is the first image from my recent trip to Ouray, CO. This was taken in Ironton Park outside of Ouray. The timing of the fall color was a bit behind “normal” this year, but it started to turn around the end of my trip. I am often drawn to color contrasts anyway so I like the variety of color in this image which actually reminds me of what I have seen closer to home in the Smokies. I had a lot of fun at this location searching for color contrast, lines, patterns and textures with a telephoto lens.

The color may have been a bit slow to develop this year, but it was definitely vibrant as evidenced not only here, but from what I am seeing in other posts online.

Capture Info:
200 mm
f/8 @ 1/40 sec
ISO 100

Processing Info:

1. Levels adjustment to adjust global contrast
  2. Color Balance Adjustment
  3. TK’s Make it Glow at 20% opacity

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments and critiques are welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’m interested in any thoughts that you have about the composition and processing.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Brian: For an avowed and unrepentant color junkie this is near Nirvana. I like what you’ve extracted from the scene. Frame filling fantastic. >=))>

I love the color rendition of this mosaic-like composition. The composition feels a bit busy to me although I do see a few patterns (a green band near the bottom and an orange one above). I like the addition of green among all of those warm colors.

Lovely image Brian, I was hoping to get back up to Red Mountain but never got the chance, pretty sure the wind yesterday stripped it pretty bad!

My only suggestion would be removing a slight blue cast that is making it a bit dull. In Photoshop create a Selective Color adjustment layer, set it to Neutral, and adjust the Yellow slider up. I also played around with some of the individual colors, but this adjusment made the biggest difference.

I enjoy these types of shots with the focus being on a piece of the scene rather than a wider shot. I think the mix of greens all the way to deep reds works great! I do like what David did adding a bit more warmth into the scene giving that extra “pump” of life! Fantastic eye to get something as nicely balanced as this is from an intimate landscape!

Gorgeous wall-to-wall color Brian. I agree with David that a color tweak might help, but just to add confusion I’d probably move in a magenta and red direction. (Moving away from both blue and, even more, green.)

No worries, glad to see a post from you Brian! I’m enjoying and always appreciate the isolated views and I’m really enjoying the variety and range of color you were able to capture and witness.

I agree pretty much with David that pulling back on the blues would give this the pop that I think is needed (not by much btw.)

Otherwise, no nits or other suggestions. This is autumnly beautiful.

Lon

Thank you everyone! I appreciate all of the feedback.

@David_Kingham - I tried the adjustment that you suggested and I like the result. Thank you for the feedback!

1 Like