Colour My World: The reveal :-)

I debated whether or not to just add this to my original post, but then decided to just post on it’s own; it’s the same subject but slightly different approach.

Actually this was a vertical subject. Yup, another tree. Maybe from the colors one might be able to guess a Eucalyptus tree… and you would be right! The tree was across from the balcony of our hotel room in Monterey last week. The reach with camera/lens I was using wasn’t enough to get just the tree bark, so there was empty space right and left. That space, that turned blue in my previous post - was the side of a building! But during processing I thought it sure looked like sky and so by rotating to horizontal, it looked like some scene with sky up top. Could very well have been a beach/coastal image with blue sky. Anyway, that’s the reveal on the previous post.

This one, if you are familiar with the eucalyptus, should ring a little more true. The colors of the bark can vary widely. Although of course I’m amplifying them a little bit while also adding texture/clarity in the ACR filter.

Specific Feedback Requested

As always, all feedback, comments and suggestions welcome!

No specific feedback other than how this one might compare to the previous horizontal versions.

Technical Details

Nikon D7100, 16-85mm at 85mm (127mm equiv) f/11 @ 1/4s iso 100

1 Like

What an awesome reveal, Lon. I can’t believe I was so far off. I was sure it was water. Incredibly creative to include the side of the building. Who knew.
Good old Eucalyptus trees (at least some of them) have remarkable bark in all kinds of colors and shades. We have tons of Eucs in California and they sure do make for great ICM subjects, this one included. This too is a beautiful image with soft earth tone colors and I love that you have angled the striations slightly so they are not straight. Well done Lon. Thanks for the reveal. I’m not sure if you print any of your work but this would make for a really nice print.

2 Likes

Thank you Lon for the reveal. I would not have guessed the blue was the side of the building. Really creative use of color.

This image also a wonderful texture and diagonal lines. The varied colors are quite nice. Thank you.

Very cool! The thing I love most here is the mix of large sweeps of subtly different color with smaller sweeping curvatures of finer detail. I find a pleasing mix of that hard to achieve – its a fine balance of SS and slight sideways jiggles in the camera sweep – and the right level of detail in the subject to start with. The diagonal presentation works well here with the controlled energy of the motion.

I love eucs and they make great subjects for ICM and abstract closeups. There are several varieties with interesting differences.

I’m a little late to this one, Lon, but thanks for the reveal. This is a terrific ICM image. I have one similar that was of an aged cedar tree trunk and it’s so similar that I decided not to post it. I am impressed that we can come up with similar images of very different subjects.

BTW, would never have realized that the blue sky was actually a building.

Thank you all for the comments. @David_Haynes , @Alfredo_Mora , @Diane_Miller and @David_Bostock . Much appreciated!