Common Whitetail Skimmer, Female + Repost

These skimmers are always a welcome sight in my flower beds as they eat small flying insects like gnats and mosquitos. The male, as you might guess, sports a long, white tail with which he warns intruding males away. The female, as seen here, sports a brown abdomen and her wing pattern is very different from the male.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300 IS USM Zoom, f/8, 1/250 sec., ISO 1000. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

4 Likes

Great detail in the wings, Terry, and the green diagonal stem works very nicely as a perch. In the “wish it wasn’t there” category, the yellow tip of the leaf (?) is a bit of a distraction. However, also pretty clear it would be very difficult to remove or alter. Still hoping someday I will get a shot as good as yours.

1 Like

Thanks, Linda. I should have worked on that leaf tip a bit to begin with. I tried removing it, but it just didn’t look right. However, I did tone it down a bit, and will repost.

1 Like

Repost is definitely better, Terry.

1 Like

Another vote for the repost. Glad you didn’t remove the leaf, but toned it down.

Thanks @Jim_Gavin. I agree.

Hi Terry, nice catch of the female. Sharpness is where it should be . Repost is an improvement IMO. Nice image.

1 Like

Very nice capture with good DOF! This is a new dragonfly to me. I think the version with the toned-down leaf is an improvement, but the original was very good too. I might consider removing or toning down the horizontal OOF stem and the vertical one on the left.

Not sure how I missed this one, Terry. A nice catch for sure. As @Allen_Sparks said, the sharpness is where it should be too. Also the repost improved the shot.

Thanks @Allen_Sparks

Thanks @Diane_Miller . Good suggestions

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman.

1 Like