Coot Portrait

Taken at my local pond today in sunshine so I concentrated on Coots since they are an exposure nightmare in the sun. Makes it challenging.
I can get pretty much eye level with ducks here and this is really close, almost full frame.

D610, 600mm, f7.1, iso800, 1/1250
Any comments appreciated.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

So you do get to shoot below 1000 ISO sometimes! I like the concept a lot. The image quality is very good. Light is nice. The beak looks a little hot, and I’d add some black to the blacks. I’d also like a sliver more room on the bottom if you have it.

The important part is that you nailed the red eye. The viewer goes right to it. I agree with toning down the beak a bit.

Superb job on the colors especially the reds and the blacks. Wonderful detail and composition.

A very good portrait of a very difficult bird, Dan. I do think you could have used a bit more depth of field as the plumage toward the back of the neck isn’t quite as sharp as the front. I think Lyle’s on the right track about the blacks, but it will take some careful work as the shadow areas look like they’re already pretty close to full black. However the sunlit areas could use a bit more depth -maybe a curves layer for those areas. I’m not sure about more canvas on the bottom-I was going to suggest a bit off the left. I think the bill is just fine-I don’t see any blown highlights on it, it’s just the usual slightly greenish white. As someone else noted, the eye is just plain awesome.

Dan the eye is totally amazing in my eye is drawn right to it. I like the framing of the coot and I have to agree with another commenter it’s hard to get the blacks right. Do this one to my eye the blacks look right. I also like your choice of depth of field. I see these Birds now and then mostly during winter but not so often. I see wood Ducks way more often. Thanks for posting I enjoyed your composition very much. I was tempted to make a joke about old Coots but prefer to keep things serious. LOL

Jim

Thanks Dennis, but this one was so close I doubt f16 would have got anymore DOF.
I was close to minimum focal length.
My ducks are pretty tame…

Hi Dan,
I don’t have much to add but will say that eye looks great. I never noticed the red eye in the field before. I’ll be looking for that in the future and maybe come up with a fine portrait of my own.