Coot Portrait

Full frame.
D500, f7.1, 1.2000, iso640, 500mm (300 w/1.7)
I love shooting Coots, about as challenging as it gets in the sunlight.

I posted another portrait photo in the Avian Gallery which no one looks at.
6 views in a couple days.
I won’t post there again, I really do not understand having this separate gallery.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Dan, first let me say that I really like this Coot portrait. They are challenging to photograph. Here, you’ve got nice detail and the blacks look great. The beak looks good and the eye pops out. I like the crop and background. I LIKE this image.

With that said, for me, critique gallery is where it’s at. I’ve returned to NPN after an absence and the site layout is much different now. I figure, try what works and do that. For me it’s all about getting honest critiques and you’ll get that here. Invaluable! If I get even a single critique, I’m ecstatic!

I ‘think’, the idea is post an image here for critiquing. If you take any of the advice given and do modify your image, then maybe post it in Avian Gallery. I think it’s all about image refinement.

My take and my two cents worth! Keep posting and enjoy the critiquing! I’ve tried and I haven’t found a better source for getting honest feedback on your images on the web!

One more thought, read some of the critiques members leave for yours and other photos. Get an idea how that works. I prefer a mixture of good news and bad news if I find a nit. Good news seems to work best if given first. Critique other’s work. You have to give in order to receive. Hope this helps!

Jim

Great detail here and beautiful color. No complaints from me.

I think you nailed the blacks on this one, Dan. The eye is incredible.

Superb detail especially on the black plumage and around the eye. This is a nice Coot portrait. The beak seems to be a little bright although in the large image it does show some detail. Perhaps 10% darker would bring out the detail a little more on the beak.

Hi Dan,
Love that eye and the blacks look great. Nice water too. As David mentions, maybe tone down the beak a bit. Nice portrait.