Cormorant Tree

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 6D Mark ii. Tamron 70-300. 1/320, f7.1. These birds were silhouetted in their favorite tree backlit by the late afternoon light. All feedback welcome.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is a nice black and white study and creates a mood of a gray overcast day. I’m wondering about the bird in the left lower corner. It doesn’t have much room to look into. Does the original have more branches on the left? Or perhaps a tighter crop and take the bird out? It does, though, help to form a nice diagonal line of birds. Anyway, nice shot and probably does work as is.

Hi Lucy. A beautiful silhouette of this group of cormorants. I had exactly the same thought as Allen. A bit more room on the left would make a nice improvement. With the weight and density of those limbs on the left, I’d hate to try to fix it by cropping as I think the tree would end up looking a bit unbalanced.

Nicely seen and executed.

I like how you handled the lighting with a silhouette. Given how the birds are positioned, I would experiment with cropping a bit on the right and top, and have the tree covering the entire frame.