Coyote Intensity

Coyote, (Canis latrans), Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge, Ridgefield, Washington, USA

This guy was coming my way in the car loop, so I stopped and got my gear ready. He didn’t seem to mind me as he “hunted.” This is a full frame shot (500mm), cropped square to focus on the gaze.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 1D IV, EF 500mm f/4, 1/200 Sec @ f/4.5, ISO 400, beanbag on the window.

1 Like

How very cool. Despite living in coyote rich areas my whole life, I’ve never photographed one, only seen them distantly and of course heard them singing and yipping and having a good time. You certainly caught and convey the intensity and focus here. Those ears don’t miss a thing. That nose either. Probably after small rodents.

Really nice, David. He was all business, and your photo conveys that. Terrific capture.

David, this had my attention immediately as it looked like my dog gopher hunting in our yard.
The larger version detail is excellent and the intensity of the coyote gives away his main focus here. He is after a meal… :+1:

Wonderful capture with great detail and a lovely setting. Intensity squared.

What an amazing sighting! I really like your crop. I love seeing the texture of the fur. And the expression in the face. Makes me want to reach out and pet him!

1 Like

Thank you all for the nice comments. Much appreciated.

It’s beautifully captured, just love the details i large version!
The amount of focus and concentration displayed by Coyote is remarkable.

For all the intensity, they always strike me as having a look that is more pleasant than fierce – more like a domestic dog. That look comes across here. (But saying that, last week one – or more – killed two sheep in our neighborhood.)

1 Like

I know what you mean Diane. This shot was literally a minute or two before the one posted…

They can seem like domestic dogs…but…as you said, they can be vicious.

1 Like

The colours are lovely and that pose as he/she stares into the vegetation is wonderful. I like the crop.

And the second image…wow! I don’t think I’d like to meet him/her close up.