Hunting for Voles

Coyote, (Canis latrans)

I haven’t seen Coyotes in the local Wildlife Refuge in several years, but a couple of weeks ago, several of them were on the hunt.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I would have loved to get the feet in the image, but that dang hill just got in the way.

Technical Details

600mm, 1/800 sec @ f/8, ISO 1250

2 Likes

David, the larger version is excellent here. This critter looks to be very well fed and groomed too. All the colors look spot on also… :+1:
Last night for the first time in a couple years we were awoken by a howling and yipping pack just outside our rear wall that’s backed up to a few open acres full of ground squirrels… :grimacing:

1 Like

Excellent look at this rascal, David. He is intent on the hunt! Good colors and details, and I like the background. Well done.

1 Like

Well done capture of the image, it certainly expresses the intensity of the focus of the coyote during his hunt for food. I have a German Shorthair Pointer (Mix) dog, when he fixates on a critter, it’s the same intensity.

1 Like

Lovely catch! Concentration for sure! I think cropping closer could work well – the IQ looks good, and for me the water and grass don’t have enough variation to balance the coyote. I’m also wondering about lightening the water.

1 Like

Good subject, intense gaze and I like three planes of focus here.
You may try to reduce the water area and see if it balances better?

1 Like