Creche

Bicolor Shield-bugs (Plinachtus bicoloripes) find this bush in the garden suitable for raising a large family in the fall. There were several other adults on the bush, so I think this really was some kind of cooperative child-minding going on.

Specific Feedback Requested

I shouldn’t have clipped the antenna at the top. What about the composition? All comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D 7100 +105mm f2.8 micro, 1/125, f20, ISO 800. Slight cropping, a bit of Vibrance in ACR, no big changes.

What an interesting thing to see. If there is cooperative child-minding going on, that’s very cool. I like the composition fine and that you have two adults in here for some scale (assuming these are normal-sized shield bugs). the light’s a little harsh, but brings up the shine on the babies’ bodies.

Mike, this shows very well, with the two adults and large mass of little ones. The mix of greens and yellows looks good also.

1 Like

Mike, this tells a great story! I like the one adult tending to the kiddies. Do you know what a typical brood is? Super shot.

Wow, what large family of bugs, you captured here Mike. The leaf seems to be the cradle to hold the little ones in. Very neat find and capture.

@Mark_Muller I’d say from observing them that a typical brood would be 10-15. There are usually other adults out foraging (maybe 5 pairs plus juveniles). As they appear in the fall, this huddling probably also keeps them warmer. I’ve seen them do this in 3 or more years.

1 Like

Hi Mike,

A nice photo showing some real biology. Group defense in insect societies is well known especially in sawfly larvae and not often seen in true bugs. My guess is that this species is well armed with stinky chemicals and the bright warning colors provide a way for predators to associate bad taste with the physical appearance of these bugs. Well done…Jim