Crossed Bills

In the last day light I found a pair of Eurasian Spoonbills during my stay in Portugal; however they were at the ‘wrong side’ of the pond (lots of reflection from the surroundings). I hope for them to move to an open area, where I could have them isolated and sort of ‘high key’. At the moment they did, my memory card was full. Switching would take too much time, so I quickly deleted some 4-5 images, so I could make this one. Pheeeeuwww… :wink:
Thanks for viewing and commenting, have a nice Sunday, cheers, Hans
for more, please check https://www.hansoverduin.nl/billy-white/

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D500 with 500mm f4 | 1/500s | f4.5 | ISO560 | overexposed 2FS | from car . In post processing I overexposed some more

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hi Hans,

This one is very nice. The whites are exposed well and the spoonbills are fairly sharp. I like the warm tone of the water which helps separate the spoonbills from the BG. You have a nice Valentine’s Day card for the nature lover. But who can resist spoonbills. Well done…Jim

I like the way the image is built, the reflections and the symmetry. I think the high-key pastel colors work very well. Overall, a beautiful scene.

This works very well, Hans. Glad you managed to overcome the full card-I never seem to think that fast, but I do try to make sure I don’t run into that issue. I love the slightly tinted high key background for this and the spoonbills are great. Even though you centered the birds and their reflections vertically, this feels to me like it could use just a bit more room on the top.

A beautiful image.

Everything about this image works well. The interaction and your processing are exceptional. Well done.

Lovely image. The crossed bills are nice, as is the reflection. I like the ivory tones. If mine, I’d want to add some space at the top or both top and bottom if you want to keep the centered comp. But this is just a pleasure to view.

Hans, I think you made a wise sacrifice to get this. I very much like the somewhat high key presentation, and the poses are needless to say superb. I particularly like the simple clean surroundings, and I believe this could also work quite well as a square or almost square crop, but excellent as is.

You were able to pull off a fantastic image under tough conditions, Hans. The exposure, pose and reflection make for a very aesthetic image.

This is gorgeous!

Wow, this is great Hans! Somehow I knew it would be yours before I even checked. Beautiful work, lighting and behavior!