Roseate Spoonbill

Ha! I figured out how to post another picture. This is the mostly undedited version. I only leveled the photo, brought down the highlights and set the white balance. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was feeling dejected while out in my kayak on a very calm morning with beautiful light and no cooperative birds. I was shooting a heron in the shadows when I saw this spoonbill fly in and land on the backside of the little island I was at. I slowly made my way around the island and by this time the sky had clouded over a bit, I saw it through some light coverage of mangroves. Staying my ground, I waited and finally the spoonbill moved in my direction and into plain view with the dark of the mangroves behind it. I did darken the background more in post processing to remove the lighter areas that were showing.

Specific Feedback

I was not sure if darkening the background in lightroom to remove light areas was an “allowed” edit or even a necessary edit, or should I allow the light areas to show? I turned exposure down to -.4, the contrast all the way up, Highlights all the way left, shadows -68 to remove the light areas in the background all on a gradient mask.

Technical Details

Sony A1, 200-600mm, 1.4 teleconverter, 1/1000 sec, F9, ISO 5000 @ 840mm. Post processing in lightroom, Topaz AI denoise, Photoshop for sharpening.

1 Like

Beautiful image, Kathryn. As for “allowed edits” we don’t restrict your creativity in post processing-that’s up to you to decide. I’ve been known to get pretty strange that way and this image works well. In fact, you might consider removing the few stray light objects that are protruding into the black. The only other thing I might change is to go back to the raw file and see if you can bring down the white patch on the back of the neck enough to bring out a little feather structure. The local adjustment brush with the highlights slider is the best bet. If that doesn’t work, a bit of low opacity cloning from adjacent areas could provide the illusion.

1 Like

A beautiful opportunity – your observation and patience were well-rewarded! I love the low, intimate view! My preference is for some subtle BG detail, unless the shapes are just not pleasing. The setting suggests, for me, the possibility of keeping the contrast low, although boosting color on this gorgeous bird could be wonderful. I think the amount of negative space suggests some crop from the top and right, unless a lighter BG brings out balancing detail. For me, balancing visual weight far outstrips the rule of thirds idea.

1 Like

Hi Kathryn, lovely subject and I’m fine with the BG processing to get the result you want. The bird pops well against the dark BG. If you want more insight, you could post the original for us to see the difference.
I have shot Roseates a number of times. Looks like the pinks are just a bit oversaturated to me but individuals can vary quite a bit.

1 Like

Spoonbills are super to see and photograph. I have spent many great hours with these guys, and have not made an image as great as this.
As stated by Dennis the white spot would benefit from a slight detail.
I do a lot of swamps/wetland work and always have a hard time with white on birds.
Also, I spend a lot of time cleaning up all the bright spots in the water.
I love the dark backgrounds darker the better. To me, it makes bird images more like portraits. But I am not a birder and they have different visions.
Again super image.
Thank you
Steve

1 Like

Nothing to add to the advice of the others. I like the low level you were able to achieve from the kayak. I like the color of the water and the dark background. Good pose with the bill in the water. Overall, a great look at the spoonbill. My first reaction, though, was “you took a Sony A1 in a kayak!”

1 Like

Thank you Allen. I set the camera on my leg and used the back screen to view the subject And yes I took the A1 on a kayak and I totally understand where you are coming from. It took me a long time to get the “courage” to do that. I only go out when the forecast is very light and I am on a protected bay, but still I do worry. I take a dry bag with me in the event of any unexpected changes happening, and still I review the insurance premiums to assess if it makes sense to buy insurance for me. So far, not. I follow Michelle Valberg’s photography and that is what motivates me. I also bought my camera used, although that is no excuse. Thank you again for your comments.

Kathryn, after seeing the original, I think going with a dark BG was a good call. The brighter log in back only distracts from the image.

1 Like

Kathryn, the second image is especially nice, as the black BG makes the spoonbill stand out nicely. I love that low profile, and how the light just seems to be on him. Great shot.

1 Like

Kathryn, I love the second image as is. The dark background sets the bird off nicely. It feels like a fine art portrait. Well done.

1 Like

Kathryn. Both are great shots, but the second version is exceptionally nice. I love the colors and the mood it evokes. Like a secret pond we’ve been given a peek into.

1 Like

Just had to toss out the idea of a subdued BG with a slight crop and the whites tamed a little. Select Subject and a little 50% opacity cloning made it an easy adjustment.

1 Like