Curliques

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Water is high in all the ponds around here and the spent reeds and plant stems make for nice reflections on calm days.

Specific Feedback

I left a bit of the underwater bits slightly visible because I like the idea of showing just a tad of context. And I didn’t want a simple “just reflections” image.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 7.04.30 PM

Exposure adjustments, cloned out lots of specks on water surface.

3 Likes

Super separation of the elements while at the same time they combine to form a lovely abstract. The dark colors of the plants go so well with the pale water surface, and the whole is deceptively simple. My initial thought was maybe to remove the small plant near the left edge, but no - that would probably leave too much empty space on the left, unless you cropped in a bit.

Fun! I think there’s some tension between the black and brown sections of the stems. The brown sections have some variation in HSL that brings in the eye to inspect closer and gives the stems some three-dimensionality. While the black sections are just black. Though, the sharper contrast between the water and the black stems emphasizes the overall abstract composition.

I love the design you’ve come up with. It’s really good. My only suggestion is to not make the reeds look so heavy. I’m wondering if raising the blacks would work. Obviously you can’t make them thinner than they are but maybe lightening them could give that impression.

PS They look like caligraphy.

1 Like

It does feel fun, Bonnie. Reminds me of musical notes and makes me smile. Nicely seen.

Wow! Elegant wrought iron and caligraphy (as @Igor_Doncov said) floating in clouds made of the “underwater bits”.

The vertical stick on the left is balanced by the one on the right (on a tilted alignment). The curliques make a mezmerizing circular movement that is hard to escape.

I have no idea what could be improved about this. It’s fantastic!

Bonnie, My first thought , it is some kind of rebus. Than came your description . Now it’s a magical line play. The longer I look at it . the more story’s come up.

I really like these simple line reflection images; the patterns in this one are really nice.

Perfect.

Thank you, @Mike_Friel, @Dan_Hicks, @Igor_Doncov, @linda_mellor, @Cathy_Proenza, @Ben_van_der_Sande, and @John_Williams.

I was wondering if anyone would make this comment. I had the same feeling, but I thought I’d leave them as is to see what comments came up. I may have to go back to the drawing board to lighten them up.

You’re right! I hadn’t though of musical notation. And they are fun, aren’t they.

1 Like