Dahlia #3

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

How does the High Key Treatment work?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Here’s the third and final image in the Dahlia series for this year.

Technical Details

90mm, 1/4000sec @ f/2, ISO 125

1 Like

A sweet image, David. I like the high key look , mainly because it helps make the out of focus petals on the upper right merge into a soft cloud-like form that appeals to me a lot. Another fine Dahlia image.

David, my very first reaction was that of seeing something being dropped in a glass of milk with the splash being the dahlia petals. It’s a very effective use of high key.

Wonderful!! Just the right touch of the processor’s magic wand!! And lovely composition, radiating out from the LLC. There is something about that triangular petal there that makes all the others fit together. Classic for B/W!!

Hi David,

A wonderful abstract. I really like slightly OOF petals just behind the most sharp ones. The subtle shadows are unique and adds a lot to the comp. Awesome. You need to find a Dahlia called Snow Country–Its big and white with pointed petals and should provide you with some fun exposures…Jim

Thanks Jim. I will keep an eye out for that variety. Thanks for the kind comments too.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

@Dennis_Plank, @Egídio, @Diane_Miller thank you all for the kind comments. This one really speaks to me and I’m glad you enjoy it.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Lovely image, David! Dahlias are so photogenic, and I especially like them in high key. I’ve been doing some similar work. So much fun!

Thanks Susanna, I love your recent postings too.

Cheers,
David