Dahlia #1 w/repost

Final Repost:

Minor tweaks:

Original post:

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Given this is a somewhat high key slice of a Dahlia in B&W, what’s the first thing you see or feel when looking at it?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I’m steering clear of color images lately, focusing on B&W imagery. I like the somewhat high key look here…I think it still provides a sense of depth and movement. It also seems a bit abstract, while still being readily identifiable as a flora image.

Technical Details

135mm, 1/7000 sec @ f/2, ISO 200

Specific Feedback

Mostly looking for aesthetic feedback of a colorful flower in B&W.

2 Likes

Intriguing and very lovely! It’s immediately identifiable but at the same time evocative to me of flames. I like the high key and the choice of framing but I wonder about cropping a little from the left to remove the two lighter pieces of petal edges exiting the frame.

Immediate Reaction: Gorgeous composition David, with wonderful forms.

More detailed comments: I love the soft focus and your decision not to try to use the full tonal range which seems to be the mantra for black and white these days. Just the forms for the petals without the whole flower make a great composition. Meringue topping!

David,
My first reaction is this is a breathtakingly beautiful B&W image. The petals remind me of flames that are intent on holding some of the darkness in the world at bay. I like what you have created here.

My immediate reaction was that of a water splash with gentle and soothing curves. It is unequivocal this is a flower, but the reaction it creates with this edit makes the photo very calming.

I do second @Diane_Miller 's point about the two lighter points on the left. I think cropping them would keep all the petals pointing right toward the center of the dahlia.

An interesting take on this popular subject. The light tone aspect helps keep it from being too somber. The edge petals don’t bother me, but I wonder if just a touch more mid-tone contrast could elevate this a bit. Make it more intriguing. Hm…I hate when I feel wishy washy about a photo that is technically excellent. Probably just me.

@Diane_Miller, @Dennis_Plank, @Ed_Lowe, @Egídio, and @Kris_Smith, thank you for the comments and suggestions. Much appreciated.

@Diane_Miller and @Egídio Thanks for the crop suggestion. Cropping however, would impact the far left edge of the left petal. So, I did a little burning, healing, softening to those areas, but left the crop as is.

@Kris_Smith, this does have quite a bit of mid tone contrast applied, but I upped it a touch more.

Thanks again everyone.

Regards,
David

Hey David. I looked at the repost and I think I prefer your original softer version. the bit of burning on the bright spot worked but the midtone contrast makes it feel too contrasty for my taste. There is one other bright spot that tends to draw my eye on the upper edge of the third petal in, second row from the bottom.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank, I appreciate your thoughts. I was a bit unsure if I wanted to boost the mid contrast. Thanks for helping me decide that the initial was the better. I’ve posted the final update with reduced contrast and a fix to that bright spot.

Regards,
David

Excellent, David. I love it!

That is gorgeous. I love the edit you did on the petals closer to the left edge. That really fixed the distraction coming to my eyes. Nicely done!

1 Like

Hi David! :slight_smile:

My initial reaction was: Wow…Very Cool…David Bostock just posted a fine image for us to enjoy! :slight_smile:
Mighty glad to see you again! :slight_smile:
I hope you’re enjoying life…and your new camera gear!

As for the image, my initial reaction was: “Fluffy”, like the Meringue Topping my mom used to make for her coconut pies, and that reminded me of my mom. It was a very pleasant memory jog! :slight_smile:
Looks like I’m not the only one to get the Meringue Topping theme after reading Dennis’s comment.

I love the texture in the most “in focus” parts and the overall shapes are very pleasing.
Personally, I’m partial to the original image, the brighter parts on the left don’t bother me but the other versions work, too.
I’ve always enjoyed your B&W images and this one is no different. Your B&W processing techniques are always spot on IMO.
The absence of color definitely works to emphasize those lovely shapes.
And the balance between the shading and the highlights was well executed IMHO.

Well done, David and it’s good to see you posting some of your work again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @David_Bostock - I just wanted to comment on how much I like this image. I don’t really have any editing suggestions to offer, but I do think I prefer your original edit. I totally agree with what others have said about the image resembling a meringue topping. I love the “soft peaks” look! It is very beautiful.

1 Like

@Merv and @John_Kilgour Thank you for your kind comments, I truly appreciate them.

John, thanks for preferring the original. I had not bothered with the left two petals as I thought they anchored that side and triggered your eye to move back to the rest of the image. Here at NPN, critique by committee allows for many different viewpoints. We as artists have to appreciate and respect the opinions and then select the ones (if any) to apply to our work. That’s what’s fun about this site.

Merv, I really appreciate your nice comments. Thank you so much. Yeah, the idea of meringue is good. Never thought of that. Thanks also for the comments on B&W processing. I am striving to improve in that area.

Finally, yes, I am enjoying my life and time with the now not so new gear. I have focused on bird photography over the spring and summer. I spent a few days in Bogeda Bay, CA a few months ago and had an incredible time.

I’m also really looking forward to attending @David_Kingham and Jennifer’s workshop in November: Death Valley in Black and White. I’ve never been to DV and to have a guide and be able to focus on B&W is a once in a lifetime treat.

Thanks again for the kind comments.

Regards,
David

1 Like

Wow! That sounds amazing, David! :slight_smile:
I would love to do that sometime and I couldn’t imagine anyone better than David & Jennifer to be my guides!
I’ve never been to DV either, it’s been kind of a low priority item until I viewed so many amazing images of DV here on NPN, now it’s much closer to the top of my bucket list.
Hopefully someday I can take one of their DV workshops.

I hope you have an awesome trip and I’m glad you’re not going until late fall, it’s far too hot for a summer tour in my humble opinion. :hot_face:

All the best of luck to ya, David! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is fantastic David! The thumbnail grabbed my attention but the large image is excellent. The B&W processing is superb, as is the comp and lighting. Very well done!

1 Like

First reaction - whipped ice cream! Great tones in the Final Repost.

1 Like