Dahlia Closeup w/Repost

Dahlia Intimate

Crop version:

We’re getting to one of my favorite times of the year–Dahlia season. There’s a wonderful Dahlia farm not too far from here that has hundreds of varieties. I’ve photographed there each year, for over 15 years.

During that time, I’ve gone from standard portraits to half shots, to much more abstract closeups. This is a closeup of just a part of the flower. I like the colors and flow of the petals.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments/critiques appreciated

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
August 2019
Fujifilm GFX 50S, GF 250mm + 1.4 Teleconverter + 45mm Extension Tube + 18mm Extension Tube, 1/40 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 100, Tripod.

2 Likes

I like the colors and curves here. I’m a little unsure about the the black areas near the bottom. They seem to pull my eye away from the overall abstract character of the rest of the image.

Thanks @Tony_Kuyper, I never even noticed them as a distraction, but now that you mention it…they are. Here’s a crop version:

Beautiful, almost abstract look at this flower. I might even take the crop a bit further as below, but I prefer the cropped in your two versions. Really well done.

Hi David! I like your original version for a straight closeup macro image but if you’re going for abstract I definitely like the cropped version. They each have their own quality and it’s neat that you can go different ways with the image. Beautiful capture!

Dahlias have such a wide variety of shapes, sizes and colors. All are beautiful as is the one you captured here. By photographing a section of the flower you have emphasized color and shape very well. I do agree with cropping the dark areas as done in the cropped version which I prefer. Well done.

Lucky you having a dahlia farm close at hand! They are beautiful flowers and you’ve captured it so well. I saw the OP and went WOW…then I saw the cropped version. It’s a double WOW! The image is so “soft” and the dew drops are the icing on the cake. It has an abstract feel to it.

The light is pretty darn wonderful. The droplets add that extra touch on an image that is already artistically and technically excellent. At first I thought it was the leaves of a plant, say hosta or another with variegated foliage, but ah, flower petals. The yellow verges on green - so unusual. Really superb.

1 Like

Thanks all for the great comments and suggestions. I appreciate them all.

Cheers,
David

I’ve been MIA and missed this one (and many other really good ones). I love this sprt of closeup of flowers and you created a wonderful one here! The soft light complements the soft colors and details, with the droplets being icing on the cake!

@David_Bostock - This is really beautiful, and I love this yellow. I feel like the crop really draws my eye more to the upper left thirds cross where the sharpest yellow petal is with the water drops, and then I can roam from there and enjoy the colors and lines.