Daisy & reworks by Bill and Ben

There was a small group of daisies on the side of the trail I was hiking last week. I wanted to try a technique where a fast shutter will make the BG go black against the flower.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything,

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
ISO 100
300mm
f/6.3
1/1000
Square crop and adjusted shadows to darken BG more. Also bumped up whites. Sharpened.

naturenessie

Vanessa: I like the idea and the detail in the flower is excellent. My first and lasting impression was that the flower is severely underexposed as presented. Even the brightest values are toward the middle of the histogram. I simply boosted the whites in ACR to produce this. Back to you. >=))>

1 Like

Hi Bill! I totally agree, but couldn’t get the daisy bright without compromising the BG. What is ACR? I like your version! Thanks!

Adobe Camera Raw. The adjustments are identical to what you can do in the Develop Module in Lightroom.

1 Like

Hi Vanessa, I was not sure what to think about this image. Then I opened it and read how you took it. Thank you for sharing this way of taking a photo creating a dark background - it is new to me!
I liked @Bill_Fach edits, so I experimented also.
Here are the results -
Added white like Bill, and also brightened the center a bit.

And, added ‘glow’ softening.

1 Like

Hi @Bill_Fach again! I just tried upping the whites more and was able to! Thanks for the feedback! It looks a lot better! :smiley:

Hi @BenM! Thanks for looking and your inputs. I like the brightness of the top image but not sure about the soft glow one. I kind of like the petals to be more defined and sharp, just my preference!

Hi @Vanessa_Hill ,
I tried to look up this technique, and the info I found talked about using a flash and a fast shutter speed. Is that how you made this photo? Or, you only used a fast shutter speed? Thanks

@BenM , no flash, just a fast shutter speed. I usually look at the image on the viewfinder after taking really quick just to see if I need to adjust anything.

1 Like