Damselfly with dew drops

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony A7RIV with Canon 100mm macro 10 image stack all images shot at f6.3. Only minor contrast, WB, and highlight adjustments to original files. no sharpening or other filter processing applied.
I recently moved from Canon to Sony and I’m just loving the results of using some of the good Canon glass in combination with the image quality of Sony camera. The detail on the 5K IMac is amazing. The change has given me a renewed excitement for macro photography.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Mark, this is a great capture, with a tremendous amount of dew. Your stack really lets the details both in the damsel and the dew stand out sharply. The oof stem adds well to the diagonal view.

Wow, Mark, he was covered in dew. So because of that, he stayed very still for you I guess, allowing you to get the 10 shots for stacking. I am really enjoying all the little droplets and the refractions. I too like the diagonal stem he is on. Great shot!

Mark: The largest version is really impressive. Did you shoot this at the full 61MP resolution? If so, how much time did it take to assemble the stack? The A7RIV is on my radar but I have some concern regarding the processing of such large files. >=))>

Thanks! We had a couple really cool mornings last week with absolutely no wind allowing for this type of capture. I look for those couple of nights in August that get down into the 50s and get out at sunrise for this type of opportunity.

1 Like

Hey Bill! thanks! Yes I am using the full resolution (with slight crop in edit) and shooting in the Sony uncompressed RAW files which are huge. Currently i am using a 2019 IMac Pro with upgrades meant for 6k-8k video processing (future proof my computer:) so it zips through the processing in maybe 2 minutes. On my old computer I would guess 30 minutes at least.

Hi Mark,

The results of your stacking looks good. I would play with the contrast and bump it up a little bit more. Other than that, looks pretty good. Awesome…Jim

Wonderful capture Mark. Amazing how sharp the detail here is in the main subject and the dew drops. The background and the pattern of the background came out very well