Dancing in the current

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I always have an eye out for reflections on my weekly walk along the local stream. It goes through farmland so its rarely very clear , which makes for great reflections. I usually don’t know what I’m going to get. I love patterns created by moving water.

Specific Feedback

anything you notice

Technical Details

Eos 5D mk2, 24-105 zoom @ 93mm
ISO 200, 1/320 f9
-1/3 exposure which is fairly standard for me.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Thanks for taking us on your walk. Good eye. I wonder if a bit more contrast, especially in the lighter parts, might not help it pop. Also, and I’m usually not this picky, that dark spot in the ULC draws my eye away. Love the detail in the branch.

I agree that moving water makes for some outstanding reflections, Michael. This is a fine look. If you want to make it more mysterious, you might crop off the bottom ~1/4, leaving a high-key sky with a thin, spindly branches intruding. I would also clone out the white circles (debris floating on the water surface), but that’s a personal choice.

Michael: I’ll ditto Mark and John’s fine tuning suggestions but I do like this as is. Well seen, composed and captured. >=))>

Very intriguing! Soft, sultry colours.
I agree with cutting a bit off the bottom, but perhaps not 1/3.

Thanks for the feedback. I have had a play with the suggestions in mind. Have included the original posting as a compare. @SandyR-B @Mark_Seaver @JohnSnell @Bill_Fach

Thanks for the feedback. I have had a play with the suggestions in mind and have posted and included the original posting as a compare.

Michael, the revised version looks great. Posting revised versions is very common here at NPN. To make comparing with the original easier, you can add the revision(s) to the original post. Then viewers can go to the larger view and use the arrows that show up to switch between the versions. To do that, click on the pencil icon at the bottom of your post. Then put your cursor in the blank space at the top and click on the upload button. You can add words or titles to both the new and older versions.

1 Like