Dark-eyed Junco

In this case the stick is Garry Oak, the only native oak we have in western Washington. I’m not sure if this bird is partially leucistic or if the white around the eye is from another cause. Interestingly, it’s the same on both sides of its face.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, hand held, f/8, 1/1000, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. I pulled down the exposure and highlights slightly in LR, the rest of the processing was in PS. A slight crop and cloning over an orphaned leaf lobe. The major processing was trying to tone down the leaf that has the bottom turned toward us partially covering the tail of the bird, which was quite bright and distracting. I’m not sure if it looks realistic or not, so I’d be interested in opinions. Taken October 26th at 5:23 pm in our back yard.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Dennis, this looks realistic to me. Nicely composed and I think you did well on the processing of the leaf.

A pretty little Junco. I like the perch. The leaf looks very natural and not distracting at all. Interesting about the white near the eye. Well done.

I like the brightness in this image. Good contrast and color on the background; blue sky works here compared to the many images where it just doesn’t. I am enjoying the shapes of the oak leaves.

Hi Dennis
I think you did a good job with the exposure, feather detail and the black & whites. The eye contact is vary nice. I think you could a little color back into the leaf covering the bird’s tail. Nice work.
Peter

Nice pose and setting with good detail. There was a junco in our yard last spring with a white eye ring. Unusual for sure.