Dark Side of the Mountain

The other day I posted my first ‘light’ black and white image from my light/dark project I’m working on. This is the first image from the ‘dark side’ of the project.

All the images in the series are taken in the same mountain range!

I would love any feedback that you see fit for this image. But have some leading ideas below :rofl:

• Do the graphic elements in this image work?
  • Does the image feel balanced?
  • is there any processing that could be improved?
  • is the negative space at the bottom right disturbing?
  • How does the lumnisoity of the foreground rock feel?

Hope you enjoy it and be cool for some feedback on the shot!

Single image on a tripod
Sony A7ii | Canon 16-35mm f4L
CPL and 2 stop GND

Processed on a calibrated screen

@eugene_theron_photography

1 Like

I think that the graphic elements work in this image. I like how the foreground rock forms a “Y” with the flowing stream and the brightness of the rock highlights this. I think that emphasizing the brighter highlights in the clouds would help balance the image and would provide a counterpoint to the foreground rock. I don’t find the negative space at the bottom right to be bothersome as it emphasizes the “Y” formation noted above. Clearly your artistic intent was to process this dark, but I do find myself wanting for a little bit more brightness on the landscape. That’s just my personal preference though.

The rock is a wonderful graphic element, and creates a strong anchor to the scene. I think the luminosity of the rock is perfect. It reinforces the composition by grabbing your attention. And it shows the nice details of the lichen on the rock. I would prefer to see more detail in the mid-ground landscape and the mountain, I think both are too to dark. I am however good with the luminosity of the water in the LRC (it’s darkness makes the rock pop). But for me the land looks too dark relative both the rock and the sky. And there are some nice lichen details in the mid-ground rocks too (I love lichen in case you haven’t figured that out already.

Regarding image balance and the LRC negative, here is my opinion. As a personal bias, I tend to prefer more symmetric over asymmetric compositions. This image does feel a bit left heavy to me. I also recently read an ebook by @Sarah_Marino on composition, and she offered the advice to divide an image into 4 quadrants and she felt that the image should have “something of interest” in each quadrant. I’m not sure the dark water in the LRC is interesting enough to qualify for that , but the dark water does play a significant role in making the rock in the LLC as powerful as it is. So I think it is very subjective whether the LRC works or not. Without the dark water, the LLC rock is nowhere near as powerful.

This rework shows a more balanced composition, but the rock has lost a lot of its power. So for me I’d leave the comp as you presented it. In this rework I did some dodging of the land to illustrate the direction that I would go with it.

I think the foreground rock detracts from the rest of the image. It is so bright it draws the eye there. Actually, I would consider cropping out most of the light part of the rock, plus darkening the remaining part. Also, I agree, the rest of the image seems too dark and could use some lightening.

Beautiful scene. I love the way you brought out that foreground rock to balance the water; the two triangular shapes play well against each other. I find the balance to be off, though. For me, it’s the sky - there’s too much of it as a lighter element and the +/- rectangular shape of it competes with the triangle formed by the rock and light water. I could see this as a square crop, with no sky at all, but you’re probably wanting to show the landscape as a whole. I experimented with a 4x5 crop and darkening the darker tones in the sky to accentuate that angled light area. I don’t mind the dark LRC or the overall darkness.

I love the dark side feeling. As the artist, you get to choose how to balance the impact of the rock and of the waterfall. For me, the rock is so bright that it does not “hand off” my eyes to the waterfall. Also, a personal thing, I would go darker with the sky, to push the Dark Side feeling, as Bonnie did.

Eugene, my personal opinion is that the image is way too dark. My rework is probably pretty crappy but I’m going to throw it out there anyway.

It looks like you are getting a range of opinions and reworks on this moody scene, Eugene. I think the complete rock definitely needs to stay as it provides balance to the flow of water. The dark triangle of water does not bother me as it also balances the rock IMO. For me the upper portion of the image is to dark, but it is ultimately your decision and vision for your project. I hope you do not mind, but I too did a rework.I still think this wouls fit nicely on the “dark side” because of those ominous looking clouds.

@Ed_Lowe certainly am getting quite a lot of differning opinions on this image, Really cool that so many folk have taken time to write something. It’s quite a lot to digest :exploding_head: Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions!!

As most folk have mentioned, the image is quite dark. This was done intentionally. One of the reason was to ‘mask’ some of the clutter out the scene and ephasise the focal points. This said and looking at it again, it could be a bit dark.

I am going to have a play with darkening the dark portions of the sky as suggested by @Bonnie_Lampley and @Dick_Knudson. Apart from balncing the dark scene i think it also creates a nice counter diagonal to the water and the rock. and an additional focal point. I will look at the darks afterwards and see wht I can do with them. It may just be a case of upping the shadows a bit.

@Tony_Siciliano @Ed_McGuirk Yes, I can see why you think it’s left heavy. Especially with the foreground rock. I wanted to create a flow from LLC to URC. I actaully think that by darking the sky darks like i said above it will highlight the light portion of the sky, making the rock fit in place more. Then there will be a dark flow from ULC to LRC if that makes any sense. I see what you are saying by having something interesting in each quadrant to balance things out. I guess in this case wasn’t possible and the arrangement is a compromise of sorts. The rock/river ‘Y’ arrangement (noted by @Brian_Schrayer) is key and would be reluctant to remove the rock. I may see if I can bring some detail out in the dark water. There are a few light streaks in there to p;ay with.

@Michael_Lowe I don’t think that your rework is crappy at all. Just a different way of preseenting the image for feedback. For me it’s a bit too ‘light’ from the intended processing. Saying that I dont quite like certain elements from it. Especialluy in the LRC.

Thanks again everyone. I’ll rework and post again soon!