Darting Thrasher

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We were visiting a friend on the coast and they have birds that we don’t have here in the Sierra. This was one. A California thrasher. I caught this guy mid-run in his backyard. They tend to run a lot, making it a bit of a challenge to capture a shot.

Specific Feedback

He tended to stay right at the back edge of the yard causing the BG hedge to be pretty close. Does it still work with the busy BG?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/2500th, f 8.0, 750mm, ISO 6400, cropped to 1560 x 1090, Photo AI

Oh I miss the Brown thrashers we had in NH. Really fun to watch - I love how they’d suddenly stop and then stab, stab, stab in the ground. Great mid-stride action you caught (and it is hard to follow them) - looks determined! I think the bg works because while there’s a lot there, it’s pretty uniform. If whatever plant that is was blooming, that would be different.

You could have a go at lowering the saturation there and and raising it somewhat on the bird as well as a touch of exposure on it, too.

Hi Dave, nice catch especially if this species is as elusive as our Brown Thrashers down here (TN). Great pose you caught and I love the look at that curved bill. I’m thinking you could raise the overall exposure some. BG works for me for the reasons Kris mentioned. Nice capture.

What about this?

Eeek - so many quotes in your response. I guess the reply window had its own ideas!!

I like the bird’s presence in the updated version - it is more there if that makes sense and has a lot more vitality than in the original.

Nice job on the repost Dave. Definitely an improvement.