Brown Thrasher

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Related to both the Northern Mockingbird and the Gray Catbird, the Brown Thrasher boasts a repertoire of songs that far outshines those two species. A secretive bird that prefers to hang out in heavy cover, they make it difficult to score a clear photo. I caught this one on his way to check out a nearby feeder.

Specific Feedback

Any. His color is a bit muted as he was in fairly dense shade.

Technical Details

Thrasher

Canon RF 100-500mm, hand held, processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping, Topaz DeNoise

1 Like

Hi Terry, Nice catch of a real beauty. I always love seeing these in my yard or out and about. The markings are quite striking. Love the great look at that distinctive eye. I usually see these guys hunkered on the ground so nice to capture one on a branch like this. I like the background too. I’m wondering if the hand held at slower shutter speed is contributing to a slight fall off in sharpness on the bird. In any event, a fine capture of a great specimen.

A very cool bird, Terry. Unfortunately, we don’t have any thrashers around here. I remember my first time hearing a Sage Thrasher in Eastern Oregon. I just stopped and listened for half an hour.

Nice pose and a good look at the eye. I like the background as well. If you don’t like using a tripod for this stuff, a monopod can be a nice compromise once you get the hang of it.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank and @Allen_Sparks. I suspect the lack of light played havoc with the af, but a tripod or monopod would certainly be helpful.

Pose and perch work well together. The image just seems sharper in the smaller version. I don’t know if one of the Topaz plug-ins would make a difference. The color of the bird against the green and brown setting works well.

I have just turned a lovely shade of green. We had many of these entertaining birds in the yard when I lived in NH, but I have only seen one in the yard here in WI and that was just the other week. No sooner did I open the door to sneak outside and it flew off. Bah!

Anyway, as has been mentioned, the perch here makes it extra special since they are usually on solid ground. What a pose and the soft light is a bonus. Overall the bird looks a little light, especially the beak and legs, so you could add a bit of contrast in whatever way suits best. Great catch and a wonderful visitor.

Thanks @David_Schoen and @Kris_Smith. I think you both have made good observations. After I posted it, I went back and looked at it again and, while the image isn’t super sharp, I didn’t think it really needed sharpening, I thought it needed a bit of contrast. When I added some contrast, it didn’t really make the image “pop”, but it did help make it appear a bit sharper. After all, isn’t that what our cameras really work off of, contrast?