Brown Thrasher

I wake up every morning to this guys song. According to Cornell: Brown Thrashers are accomplished songsters that may sing more than 1,100 different song types and include imitations of other birds, including Chuck-will’s-widows, Wood Thrushes, and Northern Flickers.
Here he is in a viburnum shrub, preparing to come to a feeder.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM zoom, f/6.7, 1/350 sec., ISO 1000, Hand Held @ 200mm. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and sharpness. Topaz De-noise applied.

Great photo of this Thrasher, Terry. I like that he is set in this environment, just curious if you considered cropping just a bit off the bottom. Doesn’t seem like that adds much and he would still have plenty of room around him. Haven’t seen any Thrashers around here so this is a nice treat for me. Nicely done.

1 Like

Hi, Linda. Thank you. Sure, I can take a bit off the bottom. Hope you get to see one, soon!

1 Like

Really nice pose and head turn. Colorant exposures are superb. Focus is a tad bit soft or perhaps this is a very large crop. I was going to suggest take a little more off the top and leave the bottom. But that’s just another approach to the second image you posted.

I think it’s a bit soft, too, David. The area he was in is pretty heavily shaded, and it was overcast with occasional rain when I shot this. That camera needs a lot of light for the autofocus to lock on, and I could hear it searching. I might try to run a High Pass on it and see if that sharpens it a bit. Thanks

I really like the pose and setting, Terry. Lot’s of possible crops on this one. I agree that the face of the bird is a bit soft. It looks like the AF caught something behind the bird. The AF of even the most modern camera can hunt in those conditions and unfortunately, birds don’t often hold still long enough to go to the back display and magnify it for manual focus.

Thanks, Dennis. I actually did have time to switch to MF, but I’m not sure my eyes are any better than the AF, or that I would have had time to get focused! I didn’t think it was awful, though it is a tad soft.