Brown Thrasher + Repost

A relative of the Northern Mockingbird and the Gray Catbird in the family Mimidae, Brown Thrashers are accomplished songsters that may sing more than 1,100 different song types. An aggressive defender of its nest, the Brown Thrasher is known to strike people and dogs hard enough to draw blood. I have a pair nesting in my yard, but I was unable to get a photo of the nest and nestlings as I was under constant and vigorous attack!

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom, f/5.6, 1/500 sec., ISO 1000. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

1 Like

Hi Terry, nice view of the Thrasher - a really gorgeous bird and worthy of your efforts to capture it so well. I like the coloring and the intense eye is great. Minor nit is that the bird is angled slightly away from us. I could see a version where the out of focus branch on the right is taken out. Still a very nice catch.

A nice clean detailed look at a well marked bird,. The curvy green highlight above the head and back is not needed or could be de-saturated.

Wonderful sharpness on the bird, in a very nice environment! It sounds like you have a fantastic wildlife preserve!

I think @Allen_Sparks has a good suggestion about the leaf above the head, and Iā€™d maybe do a slight desaturation of greens, but those are small nits for a very striking image!

Thanks @Allen_Sparks @Stephen_Stanton @Diane_Miller for your input. I did just a bit of down and dirty reprocessing and came up with this.

1 Like

Wonderful!!! Distractions have been dealt with very well.

1 Like

Re-post works well, makes for a nice background. Good pose and detail in the thrasher.

1 Like

A very nice, detailed capture of this Brown Thrasher, Terry! The re-post, where you applied the suggestions that were offered, is particularly nice because the bird really stands out with more of a 3D look and the distractions are gone.