Dead Sunflowers in the Fall

A darker sky using a polarizer

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

After photographing an event in rural Aiken County, SC, I saw this really cool field with all these dead sunflowers. Nothing says summer like a field of big, beautiful sunflowers. And nothing says the end of the year much more than a dead field of those same sunflowers.

Specific Feedback

I keep going back and forth between the white sky and the twist of the polarizer that gave me the dark sky. And looking for any help with minimizing the banding in the sky. And any other ideas about composition & processing are welcome.

Technical Details

Even though it was a bright, sunny day, there was not a lot of color. So, it was shot as black and white at the time. Both images are from my Canon R using my 24mm-240mm at 50mm. ISO 400, 1/400 of a second and f/9.

1 Like

Patrick: Nicely done on both but I much prefer the higher contrast lighter version. You’ve taken what might be considered uninspiring subject matter and created a compelling image. My only compositional suggestion would be to make the stem that is exiting the frame go away. For me it breaks the flow through the shot and takes attention away from the seed heads which are the stars of the show. Nicely conceived, captured and presented. >=))>

Hi Patrick. Welcome to NPN. As usual in matters of taste, there are differences of opinion. I prefer the dark version (sorry @Bill_Fach ). I find the fringing on the stems a distraction in the lighter version and the darker presentation fits the end of season mood better for me. I do agree with Bill about removing or truncating that one stem. Well seen and executed.

Thank you Bill. Funny, there was another stem I took out on the right because it was distracting, but that one in the middle I keep looking past. Go figure. Thanks for letting me me know it can’t hide any more.

Thanks for the welcome and feedback, @Dennis_Plank. As I wrote to Bill, that stem in the middle some how didn’t catch my eye. Now I it’s the only thing I see. Thus, it must go! Thanks. :slight_smile: