Dead Tree

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Does this work as a comp - especially framing the dead tree so far to the R ?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 7D, 10-22 @ 10, 1/200 @ f11, ISO 250

Taken on a walkway through the old English country estate of Lyme park in Cheshire.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Real nice take on a non-dramatic scene. I like the way the composition lends itself to the feeling of wide open space and the little speck far down the path (person, bicycle or tree?) lends intrigue. Nice work.

Ian, very nicely processed. I am not quite sure how I feel about the dead stump in the front lining up with the tree behind it. Not necessarily a bad thing, it gets me thinking about your thought process on the composition. Perhaps it will be more successful if it was taken from a higher vantage point so there is a little more room between the top of the stump and the lowest of the leaves?

Ian,

From both your title and the composition, it’s clear the broken/fallen tree is the main subject. The fact that the tree is off center is a good thing, I think; much better than placing it in the center. So the composition allows for the rest of the peaceful, rural scene to be enjoyed - or even for noticing the small details like Harley did.

Not sure what you could do differently, but if you have the opportunity to go back, you might take a step back, give the old tree some more room. Also, perhaps position things so the broken stump isn’t lined up directly with the other tree in the background. That’s minor, but sometimes small details can make big changes.

Peaceful image - despite the implied drama of a big tree snapping in half - perhaps during a storm? Curious if there’s a story behind the old tree.

Lon

It looks so simple your image at first. As I viewed it a bit longer there was a feeling of sadness. The trunk in front dead and broken, life has gone. When I look good at the top end of the road is someone walking , I think full of life, while the trunk?? So, a great image, full with story to me.
Very special, Ian.

Thank you, @Ben_van_der_Sande , for your very appreciative comment. I always think the mood of an image is the most important thing, which is why I like your photos so much.

Thank you @Lon_Overacker for comments and suggestions. I will be going again sometime and will look at other possibilities. Unfortunately I have no idea what happened to this tree.