Delicate Landing

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Any comments appreciated

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I was at a local wetlands area last Thursday and managed to catch this Heron gliding in for a landing. I couldn’t believe he was trying to land on these thin branches in the marsh. I kept photographing and got a terrific series of him trying to get his balance while the branches bent under his weight.

This is my favorite shot from the bunch. I’ll post a sample of the series in a reply post here.

Technical Details

600mm, 1/2000 Sec @ f/8, ISO 6400

Specific Feedback

First impression…

Here’s a sequence of the landing:

He made it–I moved to the right to get this shot.

A nice sequence with good detail in the heron. For my tastes, the better the view of the eye, the more I liked the image. In some of the images, I’d be tempted to clone out the branches behind the heron.

I like the shot and it’s a very nice sequence of the landing, David. It’s amazing how such a large bird can manage to perch on such small branches. I kept expecting the next frame to show it floundering.

Nice series here David. I found myself wanting to hear/see hoe the actually landing and staying went. Amazing this bird could sit in those tiny branches.

You have captured this series of shots well. Well told story.