Demi the Wonder Dog

Description: Demi was a dog that I used to live with. Her family called her the Wonder Dog because she got herself into so many scrapes through the years and lived to tell them all! Even though she was 15 at the time this photo was taken 2 years ago, she was still full of life even though you could tell she was hurting in some places. Animals are so amazing, they give so much, complain so little and know how to enjoy each moment.

Specific Feedback Requested:

I had just gotten my camera and she was one of my willing models! Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D3400, f/6.3, 70mm, 1/800, ISO 100, cropped and converted to black and white did a slight vignette

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

#ig apani.hill

Definitely a portrait of an aging dog, Vanessa! Having had many dogs in my lifetime I can appreciate this stage of their life where their personality is firmly developed and they are soldiering through the deterioration stage (which I am currently particularly comprehending). Nice shot and good choice for the challenge.

1 Like

Yup, looks like an old pup. Sounds like she was an excellent companion. You could take a brush or radial filter and just bump the exposure on her nose a little. Noses are important to dogs, so I think it would add to an already pleasing portrait.

1 Like

Thanks @Gary_Minish and @_Kris , I’ll have to try that on her nose. That was the only thing I didn’t like about the image was her face was shaded with the sun behind her. I’m sorry you’re having to experience it @Gary_Minish , but keeping active and doing what you love I’m sure helps. Thanks both of you for your feedbacks!

Vanessa, this is an excellent portrait of this dog. The turned head and floppy ears look good and filling the frame with her fir fits very well.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your feedback on this, Mark! I’m glad you like it but it also helps for me to know the reasons why it can work.