Denali Highway Tundra

Image: Denali Highway Tundra

Description: This Image was captured along the Denali Highway last month. The lower two peaks , one at the center and one to its right, were completely shrouded by the clouds and mist which briefly parted and I was able to capture them as seen here. The yellow and gold of the tundra foreground contrasts well with the cooler snow covered peak and overcast sky.

Specific Feedback Requested: All comments welcomed.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Camera: Canon EOS R5, Lens: RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM @ 198 mm with polarizer, f/6.3, 1/80 sec, ISO: 100. Edited with Camera Raw, Photoshop, and Topaz Studio 2.

4 Likes

Beautiful scene Robert! I was there in mid August and the colors were just starting to change, I was hoping for a scene like this but of course was way too early. I love the color contrast here and the snow covered mountain above the clouds. Only thing that I would change personally is the contrast of the foreground, just looks too much to me. If you soften that up a bit and I think it will flow nicely with the rest of the image. Just my opinion of course, I really like this.

Nice one! Love the color pallet!

The warm tundra against the cool background is striking.

Those low clouds really did you a favor here! Terrific separation of the layers and I think it works to lessen the visual weight of that mountain range. It also really defines the edge of the tree line to give our eyes a place to rest and explore. That said, I find the very sharp and crispy trees to be too sharp in comparison to that soft and relatively detail-free background. It feels artificial and a little forced. I like the sweeping lines and the composition is pleasing, too. I’ve never been to Alaska so keep the shots coming!

Thank you for your thoughts.

Thank you so much.

Thank you for your kind words.

I appreciate your thoughts and highly recommend this workshop through Az. Highways Photoscapes. I did soften and mute the colors of the foreground, but liked this result better. It may well be a hardwired fault of mine.